Veteran Misconceptions about VA home loans – For millions of Veterans the VA loan has made a difference in their lives. It allows eligible Veterans and active-duty service members with lower incomes and less than perfect credit to become responsible homeowners.
However, many veterans share that little information is provided to them about the VA Home Loan Guarantee during their active duty career. This may partially explain why only 10% of Veterans are currently using their eligibility. A combination of the following two factors may offer the other reasons why so few Veterans are taking advantage of their home loan benefits:
1. The VA does not have access to educate Veterans on the program which is left to the Dept. of Defense.
2. The Real estate industry has been slow to educate both the professionals that service Veterans and the Veteran clients that need help with their real estate needs. There’s also confusion in the mortgage lending industry in knowing the guidelines for the VA Lender’s Handbook versus the overlays of the banks.
So what does a military person really think about the VA Home loan since only 10 % are using the benefit and there is a lack of proper education? Here are some common misconceptions:
1. I heard about it but never understood what it was about.
2. I was never told about my VA benefit.
3. I didn’t think I could qualify or it wasn’t available to everyone.
4. I didn’t pick up my certificate, so I didn’t think I could use my VA Loan.
5. I didn’t know where I go to get the right information
6. I used my eligibility once so I didn’t think I could use it again.
7. It’s only for Veterans and I’m still on active-duty.
8. It’s only for military on active duty and I will get out in a few years.
9. I should wait until retirement to use it.
As a real estate professional that specializes in helping Veterans and military families buy and sell homes and a member of Veteran Association of Real Estate Professionals (VAREP) I strive to change the perception and communicate the many benefits of the VA Home Loan.
It’s important to work with a Realtor that has experience with VA home purchases.
This information is brought to you by Lorraine Santirosa a San Diego Realtor specializing in helping Veterans and active duty military buy and sell homes. For more information or help with buying a home in San Diego call 619-248-5484 or visit http://www.sandiegomilitaryrelocationexpert.com
Download the KW real estate app from your mobile device app store. Then type the code: KWFKV6UA
Want to schedule a showing to see homes listed for sale in San Diego? Would you like to schedule a FREE no obligation consultation with a veteran and active duty real estate professional, call 619-248-5484 or visit http://www.sandiegomilitaryrelocationexpert.com
According to the California Department of Veterans Affairs, San Diego County is home to approximately 265,000 veterans as of 2007.
TOP FIVE AREAS SAN DIEGO MILITARY FAMILIES BUY HOMES
I’ve done my research – Search the Top FIVE areas that San Diego Military families purchase homes
SEARCH POPULAR AREAS NEAR NAVAL BASE SAN DIEGO OR 32ND ST. NAVY BASE
We serve all branches of the military whether you’re Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, or Coast Guard. We even have experience in dealing with border patrol and prison workers. The site will address relevant information pertaining to home buying, selling, financing and mortgage relief options. We do not at this time have the ability to help those looking for rental properties but we encourage all our users to compare the option of buying vs. renting to see which one makes more sense.
We’ve gathered all the key information you will need to satisfy your off base housing needs based on our years of working with the military community.